Saturday, January 14, 2012

Well, my 29th birthday is Friday. That gives me 1 year to accomplish the goals listed in the previous post. I think I'm making a little progress. After Thanksgiving, my doctor diagnosed me as being pre-diabetic. It was quite the shock - not that I was pre-diabetic (I knew my genes would catch up with me eventually) but that it happened at 28. And so I started to make changes.

First, I'm aware of what I'm eating. That means, when I eat something bad, I'm at least acknowledging that I'm doing it. I feel like that's the first step! I'm working on making better choices in what I eat.

I also asked for a membership to the Rec Center for Christmas. Marty was hesitant at first, thinking that he'd get in trouble for getting that for me, but I convinced him that's what I wanted! I knew that we'd never spend money on the membership otherwise. And so, just after Christmas, I went for the first time! I've been many times since then. Until today, I've just been walking laps. I struggled with being able to get my heart rate up without the pain of shin splints. Today I found a solution! I tried the stationary bike, and was able to get my heart rate up without shin pain! Their bikes are totally cool, too! I can sit there and watch TV (listening on my headphones) while I bike. And when you hold onto the handles, it monitors your heart rate! So cool!

For my birthday, my parents are getting me a set of free weights. My dad taught me a few exercises I can do with them when he was here for New Year's. My plan is this:

Monday: Bike
Tuesday: Free Weight exercises at home
Wednesday: Walk Laps
Thursday: Free Weights again
Friday: Bike
Saturday and Sunday are up for grabs depending on free time. I should be able to take a few minutes to do the free weights each day, at least.

So that's the goal. I go back to the doctor to recheck my levels at the end of February. If they are where they were at Thanksgiving, we'll talk meds. I'm not interested in that.

No comments:

Post a Comment